Friday, December 4, 2009

Reflection 12

The last reflection! It's hard to believe, but this is my final reflection (written) of the semester. My observations of the last semester include:

I can become very passionate about a subject. When I chose the topic I was going to teach on/When we were put in a debate and I got up to be an opposing viewpoint/When we read the introduction to the book about building relationships and becoming free. All of these times, something struck in me that isn't always there and I got really excited. An important characteristic of a teacher is to be passionate. I need to make the effort in those other things to become passionate about them too. I need it and my students will too.

The simplest thing I can do to be a better teacher:
Buy pants with no pockets.

I've realized this takes work. It's work that I love to do and that I want to do, but effort nonetheless. I've found that my priorities and work or responsibilities will always be balanced when I am putting the spiritually needed first and always.

A few times during the semester, Sister Harmon has brought in a few students and said, 'Ok tell them why you love your major so much.' I've given lots of answers, whatever comes to my mind first. She came in today and asked the question again. Leaving BYU and the Snell building never to return in just 4 short months is cause for lots of reflection. It's the realization that I'm very much on my own starting April. I'll be going to a new state with no real feedback there from my mentors of two years, but new educators who know me hardly at all. I remember feeling so old and adult-like coming to college, but this is a whole new feeling. It's a comforting one, ironically. I am excited to meet new people who will mentor me and help me be a better person and teacher. I'm excited to have a classroom, a place where students can have a constant positive in their lives. I'm nervous, but I feel so much confidence when I walk into a classroom. It's as much for me as the students, to know that I can be some instrument for the Lord in gently helping guide His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment